Old Fashioned Sugar Cake.
You can have Old Fashioned Sugar Cake using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Old Fashioned Sugar Cake
- You need 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 cup of milk (I use Almond unsweetened milk).
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 2 cups of plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar.
- It’s 4 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 4 of large egg whites.
- You need of Confectioner's sugar for dusting.
- It’s of Caramel sauce made from Sweetened Condensed Milk (optional).
Old Fashioned Sugar Cake instructions
- Cream together shortening and milk for about 3 minutes, (it will look like small curd cottage cheese.) Add in vanilla..
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add flour, one third at a time to the milk mixture, blending well after each addition..
- Lastly, add in egg whites, beating just until all combined..
- Pour batter into a greased and floured (do not use a spray) 10 inch cast iron skillet..
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick inserted in the center to test for doneness. (last picture is with caramel sauce on top.).