You can cook Stuffed Cabbage using 9 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Stuffed Cabbage
- Prepare 1 of (3 -to 4-pound) large head cabbage.
- It’s 1 pound of ground chuck.
- It’s 1/2 pound of ground pork.
- You need 1 cup of raw rice, rinsed.
- Prepare 1 (1.4 ounce) of package dehydrated onion soup mix.
- Prepare 1 (32 ounce) of jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained.
- Prepare 6 of smoked ribs or ham hock or other smoked meat.
- It’s 1 (8 ounce) of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 1 (10 3/4 ounce) of can tomato soup.
Stuffed Cabbage step by step
- Gather the ingredients..
- Steam the head of cabbage until the outer leaves are limp, then cool slightly and separate the leaves..
- With a paring knife, remove the tough ribs from the leaves without damaging them. Reserve the tougher outer leaves, but don't use for rolling..
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chuck, ground pork, rice, and onion soup mix..
- Adding a small amount of water will make the mixture easier to handle..
- Heap 2 tablespoons of filling onto each steamed, prepared cabbage leaf..
- Fold the bottom of the cabbage leaf up over the meat..
- Fold sides to the center and roll away from yourself to encase completely..
- Repeat until the meat filling is gone..
- Heat oven to 350 F. Discard the cabbage core and coarsely chop any remaining cabbage except the tough outer leaves you have reserved..
- Spread the chopped cabbage on the bottom of a large casserole dish or Dutch oven. Add the drained sauerkraut..
- Layer on the cabbage rolls, seam-side down..
- Cut the smoked ribs into pieces. Space the ribs or other smoked meat of choice between the cabbage rolls..
- Cover rolls with reserved tough outer leaves..
- Mix tomato sauce and soup with enough water to make a liquidy consistency..
- Pour over rolls until mixture is level with rolls, but not over the top..
- Cover the casserole dish and bake 1 hour..
- Then reduce temperature to 325 F and bake for 2 more hours..
- Let sit 20 to 30 minutes before serving..
- Serve and enjoy This dish freezes well..