Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef).
You can cook Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) using 25 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef)
- You need of Beef brisket or blade steak.
- You need 1/2-1 tsp of lite sodium soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 packet of sazon.
- You need 1 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 of white or yellow onion minced.
- You need 1/2 of cubanelle/italian pepper minced.
- It’s 5 of garlic cloves mashed/diced.
- It’s of Black pepper to taste.
- It’s 1/2 of lemon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of adobo.
- You need of Drizzle of olive oil.
- Prepare of Water.
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s 1 of white onion.
- It’s 1/2 of green pepper.
- You need 1/2 of red or yellow pepper.
- You need 3 of garlic clives chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of red wine vinegar.
- It’s 1 tsp of dry white cooking wine.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of braising liquid (sec above).
- You need 2-3 tbs of tomato paste.
- It’s Handful of os Spanish olives.
- Prepare of Optional: cilantro.
Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) step by step
- Cut brisket into medium pieces and place in a bowl. Season beef with black pepper, cumin, ground orégano, sazón, adobo, salsa china (lite sodium soy sauce), minced onions and peppers, fresh lemon juice, mashed garlic, and olive oil. Mix everything until the beef is well coated with seasonings. Marinate for at least an hour or overnight..
- Warm oil in pot over medium flame. Once oil is hot, add brisket. Brown brisket 5-10 min on each side..
- Add enough water to cover beef completely in the pot — be sure to add water to mixing bowl first to capture all of the marinade and then add to braising beef. Add bay leaf. Braise beef for 2-3 hours until tender. Add water throughout if necessary. Once tender, remove beef from braising liquid. Shred beef using forks, tongs, or hands. Place shredded beef is a large bowl. Remove & discard all extra fat. In a skillet add olive oil to a med high flame. Add shredded beef and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add braising liquid & simmer for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste & stir until combined. Stew for 5 minutes. Add dry white wine & stew for 2 minutes. Add minced garlic, onions, peppers, vinegar, cilantro, & olives. Mix until well combined. Add red wine vinegar. Let cook until onions reach your desired doneness..