You can cook Ridley's Pasty using 16 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Ridley's Pasty
- You need 3 cups of flour (Redmill all-purpose unbleached), sifted.
- It’s 1 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of unsalted butter (Tillamook).
- Prepare 6 tbsp of lard (Armour).
- Prepare 2 cups of cold water.
- It’s 1 of rutabaga, diced.
- It’s 1 of yellow onion, diced.
- You need 15 of (approx) small redskin potatoes, diced.
- It’s of Salt/Pepper to taste.
- Prepare 1 lb of lean (90/10) beef.
- It’s 1 lb of ground pork.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need of Ridley's Butcher Shop Season All.
- It’s of Crushed Rosemary.
- You need 2 cups of hand shredded pepper jack cheese from block (Tillamook).
- It’s of Melted butter for brushing inner side of crust.
Ridley's Pasty instructions
- Dice butter into small pieces and place in freezer..
- Measure lard into bowl and place in freezer..
- Measure flour and sift. Add salt and place in freezer..
- Measure approx 2 c water, add ice, and place in freezer..
- While allowing these ingredients to cool, dice vegetables and combine in bowl. Add salt/pepper to taste. Also, combine meat in separate bowl with worcestershire sauce and add rosemary and season all to taste and place both in refrigerator..
- After crust ingredients have cooled, first remove butter and flour from freezer and combine with pastry cutter. Place back in freezer and allow to cool..
- After a short cooling period, remove flour/butter and cut in lard with pastry cutter. Place back in freezer for short period..
- After 15-30 min cooling period remove flour/butter/lard and water from freezer.
- Slowly begin adding water to flour and mix by hand. Add only enough water to hold flour into a ball. Mix as little as possible to form a cohesive ball. Wrap in clear plastic wrap and place back in fridge. Cool for at least an hour, but, as long as a day before cooking. Can prepare dough in advance and freeze if making greater than a day in advance..
- After dough rests, cut into equal pieces and roll into 8"circles. Can use 8" pie plate to keep size consistent. The key here is to get the crust the right thickness. It should be approx 1/4" or slightly less..
- Brush inner side of crust with butter. Place thin layer (1 piece thick) of vegetables on half of crust keeping 1/2" from edges and sprinkle with some cheese. Scoop meat by using ice cream scooper and place 1 scoop in the middle of vegetables and push flat. Then surround with more vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables and cheese on top of meat..
- Moisten edges with water, fold dough over filling, and seal by pressing fork along edges. Also, place 3 small slits in dough..
- Place on trivet/meat rack coated in lard/oil then place in a 10" iron skillet and cook at 350° for about 1 hour – 1 hour 30 mins or until crust is golden..
- Let stand in skillet for 10 minutes than top with gravy. For the true yooper experience, eat it warmed up the next day with some ketchup or bbq sauce..
- Wrap any additional in foil pre-cooked, freeze, and throw in oven when needing a quick, all-in-one meal. To cook, leave in foil, pre-heat oven to 350°, and cook 1- 1 1/2 hours until golden brown..