You can cook Chicken tinga using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken tinga
- It’s of Large rotisserie chicken pulled. You want about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of meat.
- It’s 32 of is chicken stock.
- You need 1 cup of water(or extra chicken stock).
- You need 1 of large yellow onion diced.
- Prepare 1 of large yellow onion halved.
- Prepare 7 of ox can chipotle pepper is adobo seeded(unless you prefer hot).
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- You need 6 of dried guajillo seeded.
- You need 2 tbsp of Dried crushed Mexican oregano(I crush to remove any hard stems and to release the oils in the oregano).
- It’s 2 tsp of dried cilantro (optional).
- You need of Cilantro finely chopped.
- You need of Salt.
Chicken tinga step by step
- Add your chicken stock and water followed by the halved onion, chiles and garlic and simmer covered for 20 minutes..
- While that simmers add the tomatoes, lime juice and the chipotle with adobo into a large blender..
- After you simmer for 20 minutes remove the onion, garlic and chiles to the blender and pour the stock into a separate container. Blend the mixture until smooth..
- Add olive oil to the pot and heat up. Add the diced onion, pinch of salt and cool until browned. Retune the stock back to the pot and reduce by half..
- Once reduced add the sauce followed by the oregano, a few pinches of salt and a few pinches of sugar and return to simmer and reduce for 30 minutes..
- Remove 2/3 of the sauce into a sieve and push it through to remove the extra pulp, add back to the pot and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes to reduce..
- Once the sauce is where you want it add the chicken to the pot and heat through for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with cotija cheese, cilantro and diced white onions (optional diced avocado and crema).