You can cook Goat Paya using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Goat Paya
- You need 1000 g of goat meat on the bone.
- You need 2 tablespoons of ghee or olive oil.
- It’s 20 of curry leaves (optional).
- Prepare 4 of black cardamom pods (or 8 green).
- Prepare 3 of large onions finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 of tomatoes finely chopped.
- You need 1 tablespoon of garlic puree.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of ginger puree (This is simply ginger or garlic blended with a little water to a paste.).
- You need 1 1/2 tablespoon of garam masala.
- You need 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of cumin powder.
- It’s 3 of cassia bark bay leaves or 1 inch piece of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Prepare 100 ml of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 bunch of finely chopped coriander.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste.
Goat Paya instructions
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large pan with a lid..
- When hot, throw in the curry leaves and cardamom pods and let them sizzle for about 30 seconds..
- Dump in the chopped onions and let them fry for about 15 minutes. Stir continuously so that the onions caramelise nicely. You do not want them to get two dark..
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and continue frying and stirring for another five minutes..
- Add the ginger and garlic purees and stir to combine..
- The vegetables should now begin to break down slightly..
- Add the rest of the spices and the tomato puree and continue stirring for another 2 minutes..
- In goes the goat meat. Mix it all up allowing it to brown slightly while coating it with the vegetable mixture..
- All you need to do now is cover the meat with water, place a lid on the pan and place in in a low oven (about 150c) or turn down your stove to its lowest setting..
- The goat curry needs to cook slowly for about 5 hours until the meat just falls off the bone and is very tender..
- To serve.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and check for seasoning. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve over rice or with homemade naans..