You can have Carnitas Delicioso! using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carnitas Delicioso!
- It’s 1 lb. of Lard (no substitute!).
- You need 1 c. of Bacon fat.
- Prepare 3-4 lb. of Pork butt, cut into large pieces.
- Prepare 1 of lg. Orange, quartered.
- You need 1 of lg. Lemon, quartered.
- Prepare 2 of Limes, quartered.
- It’s 1 of lg. Onion, peeled & quartered.
- You need 10-12 of garlic cloves, peeled.
- Prepare 12 of jalapeño slices (from a jar).
- It’s of Salt.
- It’s of Pepper.
- You need of Cumin.
- You need of Garlic powder.
- Prepare of Flour tortillas.
- It’s of Garnish suggestions:.
- You need of Grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare of Sour cream.
- You need of Salsa.
- You need of Cilantro.
- Prepare of Diced onions.
- Prepare of Pineapple tidbits (seriously good!).
- Prepare of Refried beans.
Carnitas Delicioso! step by step
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Place lard in large (turkey-size) roasting pan and place in oven to melt. Add bacon fat and set aside..
- Prep all your ingredients while the lard is melting. The photo shows the cut sizes. A regular large roasting pan, as shown in this photo, is too small for cooking this dish. Use a larger/deeper turkey roasting pan..
- NOTE!! I don't recommend a disposable aluminum turkey pan because lime juice eats a hole through aluminum foil! (I learned this the hard way!).
- Place pork pieces (fat side up) in the roasting pan with the lard & bacon fat. Squeeze the citrus pieces over the meat, and place them around the meat pieces, skin side down. (The large piece with fat cap has a wide flat bone running the length of the piece, which is why it's bigger.).
- Add the garlic cloves, onion quarters and jalapeño slices to the pan. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin over the meat (to taste; I don't measure them)..
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper over everything to keep the limes from touching the foil. Then tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil, sealing well all around so steam doesn't escape while cooking..
- Bake in 250°F oven for 6-1/2 hours. Turn off oven and allow pan to cool before removing foil..
- NOTE: At this point, I usually refrigerate the pork pieces (discard fruit and lard) and finish the recipe the next night when I'm ready to serve it. But you can do it all in one day if you start early..
- Char the pork pieces under the broiler. Keep an eye on them, flipping the pieces to get an even char. Takes 10-15 minutes..
- Serve with warm flour tortillas, your favorite condiments, and refried beans..