Chicken Pörkölt (Hungarian paprika stew). This recipe for Hungarian stew made with pork loin and bacon is seasoned with paprika and served over egg noodles. All Reviews for Porkolt (Hungarian Stew) Made With Pork. A recipe for Csirkepörkölt (Hungarian Chicken Stew)!
Pörkölt is a Hungarian stew with boneless meat, paprika, and some vegetables. A popular meal in traditional Hungarian cuisine is a pörkölt made of tripe, called pacalpörkölt. Most common are beef, lamb, chicken and pork, but game, tripe and liver can also be. You can cook Chicken Pörkölt (Hungarian paprika stew) using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Pörkölt (Hungarian paprika stew)
- Prepare 1/2 kg of boneless skin on chicken thighs.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of pork lard or 4 slices bacon, chopped fine.
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Hungarian paprika.
- You need 4 of sun-dried tomatoes or ½ can (400 g) tomatoes, chopped.
- It’s 1 tsp of garlic salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of caraway seed.
- It’s of Water.
Pörkölt or porkolt is another typical, authentic Hungarian stew, which is also very common in Romania, especially in Transylvania. Another dish I have been eating all my life, although my grandmother never actually called it porkolt, she would call it "tocana de porc" – pork stew or even. Keto Hungarian Pork Stew is a delicious and hearty low carb recipe that is sure to satisfy. Enjoy the seared pork, caramelized onions, peppers and paprika.
Chicken Pörkölt (Hungarian paprika stew) instructions
- In a medium saucepan, fry the bacon on medium heat until the fat renders. If using lard, until it melts..
- Add the onions and sauté until transparent, about five minutes..
- Add garlic and sauté for two more minutes..
- Add chicken and sauté for two more minutes, until most but not all of the pink is gone..
- Stir in paprika and remove from heat, important because paprika turns bitter when fried..
- Add salt, pepper, caraway seeds and tomatoes. Add enough water to the saucepan to just about half the depth of the meat or just a bit more. Do not cover completely with water..
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer like this for around an hour. If at the end of this process the sauce is still too thin let it simmer uncovered for a bit longer..
- Serve with egg noodles (spätzle), boiled potatoes, or steamed rice. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired..
Hungarian Pork Stew or Pörkölt is another beloved dish from my childhood. I've decided to put my own twist on this keto stew and make this. This classic Hungarian chicken paprikash recipe is comfort food featuring a paprika-sour cream sauce and served over dumplings or rice. Generic paprika can add color and some flavor, but Hungarian paprika will add richer flavor and can be found in a variety of heat levels. Instant Pot Chicken Paprikash – Hungarian Stew.