Layered savory cabbage casserole 🥘.
You can have Layered savory cabbage casserole 🥘 using 10 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Layered savory cabbage casserole 🥘
- Prepare 1 head of savory cabbage.
- It’s 1 lb of ground meat.
- Prepare 1 of yellow onion.
- It’s 1 tbs of minced garlic.
- You need 1/2 tbs of paprika.
- Prepare 8 oz of rice.
- You need 4 oz of grated cheese.
- Prepare 6 oz of sour cream.
- Prepare 1 spoonful of grease (lard, oil, shortening).
- It’s to taste of Salt, pepper, garlic powder.
Layered savory cabbage casserole 🥘 step by step
- At first let's clean up the savory cabbage. Take off the dark green leaves..
- I only took of the really dark green leaves about five or six of them..
- Cut off the bottom..
- Carefully start to break off all of the leaves from the head of cabbage..
- In a large pan boil some salted water and add cabbage leaves 4-5 at a time and cook it for about five minutes..
- Carefully take out the cabbage leaves from the water and rinse it with cold water. Set it aside..
- If you having trouble taking off the leaves closer to the end, put the whole thing into the boiling water and cook it until the leaves are starting to peel off, that way you can easily just take it out from the water..
- Cut off the thick vein from the leaves..
- Dice onion and cook it on grease until brown. I use shortening but you can use any grease you like..
- Add a tablespoon of minced garlic..
- Take it off the heat and add paprika. Stir..
- Add ground meat and cook it until it is brown. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder. On medium low let it cook completely..
- Cook the rice as described on the packaging..
- Let the rice cool a little bit and mix it up with the ground meat. Taste it and add more seasoning if needed..
- In a lightly greased baking pan start layering the ingredients. Start with the cabbage leaves. Lightly add more seasoning to every layer of cabbage..
- Next add some of that ground meat. And a repeat until all of the ingredients are gone, finish it with the cabbage on top..
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a bowl add together the sour cream and grated cheese. I use cheddar but any kind will do..
- Mix it well and lightly season it with salt and pepper..
- Spread the sour cream mixture on the cabbage..
- Put the oven into the preheated oven uncovered and cook it until golden brown. It takes time but it should be ready in less than 1 hour it depends on the oven..
- For me it was in the oven for one hour. I like it a little bit extra brown 🤗 But it should be done in 45min..
- Tip: If you don't want whole leaves in the casserole simply cut the cabbage in half after taking off the dark leaves and slice it. Then just cook it in boiling water the same way and follow the recipe..