Biscochitos. Biscochitos are New Mexico's State Cookies! Biscochitos (sometimes spelled Bizcochitos) are a beloved New Mexican treat. Although I wasn't born here, I've lived in New Mexico for more than half.
Join me in making New Mexico's Official State Cookie! I'll be showing you exactly how to make biscochitos. I hope you enjoy my video and making these. You can cook Biscochitos using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Biscochitos
- It’s 3 cups of flour.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 tsp of crushed anise seed.
- You need of Zest of 1 orange.
- It’s 2 1/4 cup of lard (or shortening).
- You need 3/4 of sugar.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need of TOPPING-cinnamon/sugar mix.
Visit our website to place your order today! Whether you spell it biscochito or bizcochito, you'll call these cookies wonderful. Biscochito is a crispy butter cookie flavored with anise and cinnamon. It was developed by New Mexico residents over the centuries from the first Spanish colonists of New Mexico.
Biscochitos step by step
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, anise seed, Zest..
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar, and lard(or shortening) Add egg/vanilla and beat..
- Gradually beat in flour mix..
- Refrigerate 1hr or more..
- Put dough into a cookie press(or roll out and cut with cookie cutter).
- Press onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Prepare topping in a separate bowl..
- Bake for about 8-9 minutes (for rolled out cooking bake about 10-12 minutes).
- Watch these cookies they brown easily!!.
- Take out of oven, wait about a minute or two so you can lift the cookie without it crumbling (but it must still be warm!!).
- Dip into cinnamon sugar mix..
- Note-I could not find crushed/ground anise. I bought regular anise seeds and used a coffee grinder-in bursts, they are light!.
- Note-better with lard, but you may use Vegetable shortening instead(I used crisco).
See more ideas about Mexican food recipes, Mexican cookies, Cookie recipes. Biscochitos are a crunchy shortbread-like cross between a sugar cookie and a snickerdoodle! Looking for a delicious Biscochito recipe? These have just the right amount of anise, a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, and a tender crumb that is totally irresistible. Here is a fail-proof and super easy recipe for homemade biscochitos, a lard-based cookie that is flavored with star anise and cinnamon.