Homemade Corn Flour Tortillas.
You can have Homemade Corn Flour Tortillas using 5 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Corn Flour Tortillas
- Prepare 150 g of corn flour.
- It’s 150 g of all-purpose or bread flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of shortening, butter or lard (45 g).
- You need 2/3 cup of water (180 ml).
Homemade Corn Flour Tortillas step by step
- Mix the flours and salt together in a bowl. Add the shortening/butter/lard in small pieces and crumble it into the flour with your hands until it's sandy..
- Slowly add the water and mix with hands until the dough comes together enough that you can shape it into a ball without it falling apart..
- Remove the dough ball onto a floured surface and knead with the palm of your hand until it's soft and smooth, 5-10 minutes..
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a small ball..
- Return the balls to the bowl and cover with a clean, moist cloth or plastic wrap. Let rest for 30 minutes..
- Heat a flat frying pan or griddle on medium (without oil). When hot, form a ball into a flat, round shape with your fingers (about 4 inches round and 2~3 mm thick)..
- Put it into the hot pan and cook on one side until you see little bubbles and the bottom is lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes)..
- Flip over and lightly brown the other side for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Don't over cook or they will get stiff!.
- Remove the cooked tortilla onto plate covered with a clean tea towel or cloth, and cover the tortilla with the cloth to keep warm and moist..
- Repeat with the process with the rest of the dough balls until all are cooked. Stuff with your favorite fillings and enjoy!.
- If you have leftover tortillas or make extra, let them cool off and then store in a plastic bag. To reheat, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for 20-30 seconds OR wrap in aluminum foil and heat in a 350°F/180°C oven for 10 minutes..