Räderkuchen (Fried dough cakes).
You can have Räderkuchen (Fried dough cakes) using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Räderkuchen (Fried dough cakes)
- It’s 2 tbsp of Butter – Room Temperature.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Sugar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Milk.
- You need 3 of Eggs.
- You need 2 tsp of Baking Powder.
- Prepare 2 cup of All Purpose Flour.
- Prepare 1 of Cinnamon & Sugar or Icing Sugar (to roll the cakes in when done).
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Lard (Oil) for frying.
Räderkuchen (Fried dough cakes) step by step
- Using a mixer, mix the first 6 ingredients together to make your dough. You may need to flour your hands, and work the dough into shape..
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to about 3/8" thick. Using extra flour to prevent the dough from sticking to your working surface or rolling pin..
- Cut your dough into strips. About 1" wide & 3" long. A pizza cutter works fabulously here..
- To form the classic Räderkuchen shape; about a 1/2" from one end, cut a 1" long slot. Pull the long end through the slot to form a curled shape..
- To make the shape you see in the picture, hold a strip by each end, twisting one end twice, then bring your ends together and pinch to seal it. (My son had a very hard time trying to make the classic shape, so we chose this.).
- Heat your lard in a deep pot, or a fryer. To test to see if your oil is hot enough, insert the end of a wooden spoon into it. If bubbles form around the spoon, you are ready to go. I heated my oil to about 350°F..
- Gently add a single layer of your shaped dough into your oil. Being careful not to crowd them. You don't want them to stick together. Once you get going they tend to cook quickly. When you see the edges start to turn golden brown, flip them over. Cook for just a couple minutes more, and then remove them to a paper towel-lined plate..
- After they drain for just a minute, roll them in your cinnamon & sugar mixture, or in the icing sugar. (We chose the cinnamon & sugar. I put 3-4 cakes in a bowl with a lid, and gently shook it to coat the cakes).
- Once they are completely cool, store them in an airtight container. (You want them completely cool to prevent condensation.).