Veal and root vegetables pasties.
You can have Veal and root vegetables pasties using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Veal and root vegetables pasties
- It’s of For the pastry case.
- It’s 170 g of plain flour.
- It’s 85 g of lard.
- It’s 3 tbsp of cold water – is possible that you won't need all.
- Prepare pinch of salt.
- Prepare 1 of egg or milk for the wash.
- You need of For the filling.
- Prepare 450 g of mixed root vegetables – mine was celeriac, swede and carrots.
- Prepare 300 g of veal chopped in small cubes.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 400 ml of beef or vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 of crushed garlic clove – unpeeled.
- You need of Freshly chopped herbs – I used rosemary and thyme.
- It’s of Salt and Pepper.
- You need of Plain flour to dust the beef.
Veal and root vegetables pasties instructions
- Make the pastry. Add flour and salt to a bowl, mix well and start by adding the butter a little at the time and rub to a sand consistency. Add your water little at the time until combined in a dough. Rest in the fridge for about an hour..
- Chop your vegetables and meat in small pieces. Dust your veal in flour and set aside. In a saucepan, add your olive oil and the crushed garlic and when sizzling, add you meat and brown. Remove and place on a plate..
- Deglaze the pot with a little of beef stock, remove the garlic and add your vegetables and chopped fresh herbs. Once these have been roasting for about 10 minutes, add your meat again and cover with the stock. Let stew for a good hour until all is soft but still holding the shape..
- Roll your pastry and cut circles. I used a side plate of 19cm. I was able to make 2 with the first roll and then one more with a second roll. Fill the cases with 3 tbsp of your stew that in the meantime reduced. Add a little butter and seal the pastry helping yourself with a little egg was around the rims. You will have leftover beef for another recipe that will follow or double the pastry ingredients to make more..
- Once the pastry cases are sealed, crimp or shape as you prefer and wash in egg wash and little milk. Pop in the fridge for about 20 minutes and in the meantime preheat your over at 200 C..
- Bake until nice and golden, this will take between 15 to 20 minutes. If you didn’t want to stew your vegetables and meat beforehand, you could add to your pastry cases from raw and bake for 50 minutes..