Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef).
You can have Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) using 25 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef)
- Prepare of Beef brisket or blade steak.
- You need 1/2-1 tsp of lite sodium soy sauce.
- You need 1 packet of sazon.
- It’s 1 tsp of oregano.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1/2 of white or yellow onion minced.
- It’s 1/2 of cubanelle/italian pepper minced.
- It’s 5 of garlic cloves mashed/diced.
- It’s of Black pepper to taste.
- It’s 1/2 of lemon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of adobo.
- It’s of Drizzle of olive oil.
- You need of Water.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- You need 1 of white onion.
- Prepare 1/2 of green pepper.
- You need 1/2 of red or yellow pepper.
- Prepare 3 of garlic clives chopped.
- You need 1/2 tsp of red wine vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of dry white cooking wine.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of braising liquid (sec above).
- You need 2-3 tbs of tomato paste.
- You need Handful of os Spanish olives.
- You need of Optional: cilantro.
Chef Zee's Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) step by step
- Cut brisket into medium pieces and place in a bowl. Season beef with black pepper, cumin, ground orégano, sazón, adobo, salsa china (lite sodium soy sauce), minced onions and peppers, fresh lemon juice, mashed garlic, and olive oil. Mix everything until the beef is well coated with seasonings. Marinate for at least an hour or overnight..
- Warm oil in pot over medium flame. Once oil is hot, add brisket. Brown brisket 5-10 min on each side..
- Add enough water to cover beef completely in the pot — be sure to add water to mixing bowl first to capture all of the marinade and then add to braising beef. Add bay leaf. Braise beef for 2-3 hours until tender. Add water throughout if necessary. Once tender, remove beef from braising liquid. Shred beef using forks, tongs, or hands. Place shredded beef is a large bowl. Remove & discard all extra fat. In a skillet add olive oil to a med high flame. Add shredded beef and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add braising liquid & simmer for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste & stir until combined. Stew for 5 minutes. Add dry white wine & stew for 2 minutes. Add minced garlic, onions, peppers, vinegar, cilantro, & olives. Mix until well combined. Add red wine vinegar. Let cook until onions reach your desired doneness..